- Parents & Guardians of the Incoming 8th Grade Class,
- Thank you to all of you who attended the fund raising meeting last night. I know it is a busy time of year for everyone, so if you couldn't make it, here is a synopsis of the meeting. Attached is a sample itinerary for the trip, a trip deposit letter and a road race sponsorship form. I also sent these forms home with children today if you weren't at the meeting. There will be extra sponsorship forms in the office all summer.
- First, I described the point system for raising money. Each family will earn money from each fund raising event in which they participate. Participation in all events is voluntary. However, unless you can afford to pay the entire amount, we strongly encourage you to participate in the fund raising efforts. The Oak Bluffs School does not have a scholarship fund; nor can it afford to assist in the cost of the trip. This is why we fund raise. Even if your child does not currently express an interest in going, please participate in the fund raising. That way, when your child changes their mind (and they often do), you will not have such a huge financial burden on your own. Also, our group decided last night that we would fund raise the necessary cost for Jacob Gurney's trip to help alleviate this burden on his family.
- For each event, points are assigned for the shifts and tasks for that event. The total profit of that event is then divided by the total points earned to determine the point value. If the point value is $30 and your family earned three points working the event, then you just decreased your trip cost by $90.
- Our fund raising opportunities:
- Melanie Bilodeau and Misty Araujo have volunteered to run the OB Fireworks fund raiser in August where we sell food and drinks to the crowd. They will be getting in touch about what you can do to earn money from this event. Each shift that a family member works for this event is worth one point. Please watch out for future information.
- We are in charge of the Columbus Day Road Race. Over the summer, we are asking you to solicit sponsors for the race. This information is detailed on the attached document. This is our biggest and most successful fund raiser. The more sponsors we get as a class, the better off we are as a group. Families can earn points by working the event and for each $300 worth of sponsors you get. This is the big money maker and I can't emphasize enough the importance of collecting sponsorships.
- The PTO will give 25% of what each child sells in the fall Meadow Farms fund raiser. If your child sells $200 worth of merchandise, you lower the cost of your trip by $50.
- We also have the opportunity to run the Turkey Trot race on Thanksgiving Day. Information about that will come out in the fall.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me (email@example.com).
- Thank you,
- Eve Heyman