Summer can be a season full of good times and fun memories, but did you know that kids may experience learning losses when they don’t read during the summer? There’s actually a name for it: the summer slide (and that isn’t the one at the park).
So what can you do as a parent to help STOP the summer slide? Itʼs simple, can cost little to no money, and yet is so very important.
Make time for reading every day!
Here’s how you can help your child keep their reading skills sharp:
• Read to your child.
• Read with your child.
• Use the calendar to record your reading experiences.
• Let your child choose the books they want to read.
• Find opportunities to talk about books.
• Give your child access to a wide variety of books on their own independent reading level.
• Introduce an older child to a book series and one book turns into four....or more.
• Have your child participate in the Oak Bluffs Public Library reading challenge.
• Provide time for your child to read on-line using Raz kids. http://www.raz-kids.com/main/Login
We look forward to having some lively “book talks” the first week of school in September! Your childʼs new teacher will expect to see their reading calendar on the first day of school. We plan to display all summer reading calendars in the hallways next September. Also, your childʼs calendar will be their ticket to participate in an exciting reading celebration in the fall.
Have a wonderful summer, and happy reading!
Your OB Teachers