- Internet Slow? Try Speedtest.net to Check Your Download Speeds
- Need Internet Service: Check Out Comcast's Internet Essentials https://internetessentials.com/
- No Internet at Home? If you do not have Internet in your home, please contact MVPS Assistant Superintendent, Richie Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org or cell phone 508- 939-1678) to explain your present status for access and how we might be able to help.
- Website not Loading?
- Turning your SmartPhone into a “Wireless Hotspot”
Do you already have cell-phone services and a smartphone? You may be able to use your phone as a wireless hotspot and connect your computer to your phone’s cellular connection. Please keep in mind that this will consume data on your cellular plan. If you have limited data, or you pay-by-data use, then you should be cautious of using this option -- additional fees could mount. If you are unsure about the particulars of your cell phone plan, please reach out to your provider.
NOTE: Some wireless carriers are offering increases in data plans for the next few months. Reach out to your wireless carrier to see what your carrier is offering.
Key tip: Make sure to assign a password to your Mobile Hotspot to prevent others from connecting and using your data resources.
- My Internet just stops working, not only for me but everyone in the house.
- My internet seems slow..what can I do to make it better?
- My speed test numbers (www.fast.com) are different when I move around the house?
- When I am on the other side of the house from the router, my signal strength looks similar to the image on the left. What can I do to make it better?
- When my older sibling came home from college, my internet speeds got really bad. What’s up with that?
- How fast do my speeds need to be?
If you think you have your internal wifi signal working well, but it is your Internet provider (cable or wireless) that is unable to get you the speeds you need, below are a few service providers that offer services on Martha’s Vineyard. Some of these services may not be available at your home’s location, so you will need to check their websites for coverage (links to their sites are provided). You can search the internet, or better yet, ask your friends or neighbors what they use and if they are pleased with it. This is not intended as a complete list of every service provider for Martha’s Vineyard, so check around if none of the options below work for you.
- Wired Internet Services
● If you have service and need support call 800-934-6489 or login to your account in a web browser: xfinity.com/myaccount
● New Service – https://www.xfinity.com/learn/offers **Be Sure To Scroll down to the “New To Xfinity” box and enter your address for offers**
● Internet Essentials – https://www.internetessentials.com/ Comcast program for qualifying households with low cost internet services (presently $9.95 a month for Internet). Check their website for details and application.
Verizon – DSL – Speeds usually 1.5-10Mbps. Not as fast as other services, but an option when other services are not available. Not available everywhere on Island. To see if your location can get DSL service go to https://www.verizon.com/info/dsl-services/. For support for your Verizon DSL service, choose from the support options at: https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/contact-us/contactuslanding.htm
Wireless Internet Services – These are two of the most common wireless services available on Martha’s Vineyard. You can also search for others (T-Mobile, Sprint, etc.) on the internet, but be sure to check their Coverage Maps to make sure they serve your home location. Verizon Wireless – Internet services through your cellphone, tablet, or hotspot. Go to https://verizonwireless.com for support as well as new accounts, upgrades, plans,etc. Or call 800-922-0204.
AT&T – Internet services through your cellphone, tablet, or hotspot. Go to https://att.com/wireless for support as well as new accounts, upgrades, plans,etc. Or call 800-288-2020.